Thursday, April 26, 2012

New Year Approval

Verse

You are the helper of the fatherless. LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more.
Psalms 10:14,17-18

Facts and Figures
  
    On this part of the blog I want to make the case for domestic adoption. I completely believe in foreign adoption, someday I want to go to India and be with the babies in the streets so believe me when I say I'm all for it. I do feel like there's a romantic side of adoption that some can fall into. The idea of a child from another country is very appealing because of culture and what a different environment you're bringing them into it can be very exciting.

When I talk to people about domestic adoption there's a hesitation. I don't exactly know what that little look of "oh, you are a martyr" is about but I can say I think it's easier to adopt domestically. Maybe I'm going to be specific and say not just domestic adoption but foster adoption. Children in foster care come from backgrounds that I believe grown adults can fear. Not to say that children from other countries don't have the same problems but I believe that it's really more visible here. It's right in your back yard. These children who are neglected, abused,  and abandoned are right down your street. They could be your neighbor or they could be sitting on the side walk. I believe this idea scares people. This idea that if we don't see it we aren't responsible for solving the problem.

I was talking with my aunt recently, who lives in Argentina and she couldn't believe that I was able to even apply for adoption. In other countries you have to wait till you are married to be able to adopt and even then sometimes it could take years.  Typically what I've found is that it can take 2 years at the most here to at least be in the swing of adoption. You will have a child with in 2 years that is heading for finalizing the adoption. In foreign adoptions it can take years just to get a child then it can take a while to finish the process. Every story is different and what I've found so far is there are no guarantees.

I think personally that this country is amazing when it comes to taking care of the orphans. Are we perfect, no by a long shot. Do we have room for improvement, of course but as I've seen the process I think that the paperwork was very detailed, the home study dug into every part of my life to find any inconsistencies and there is so much support. It's possible for me to have a beautiful child as a single parent in this country where in other parts of the world that can't even be a dream. I advocate for people to at least consider heading down this road. What they told us in class is that eventually you will get the child that is meant for you.


 Thoughts and Journal Entries
January 2011
       My patience is growing thin. Maybe it's the power of my mind imagining what it would/ could be like having a baby in my life but I'm ready. All my paperwork is in and I'm dying to hear if I got approved or not. Be anxious for nothing but in everything give thanks. One of the foster parents got placed with a baby and it's awesome to see pictures but I'm ready!

Finally! Last day of this month I got my certificate saying I'm approved for foster to adopt. I've proudly displayed my certificate that states that as of January 31st 2011 I'm able to take in a foster baby. Ok Jesus I'm ready!! I have to meet what they call a matcher next month to see what baby might be right for me. Apparently she talks to me to get an idea of what I'm looking for. Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment