Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Training Day 3

Verse
15 For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. Romans 8: 15-17

Facts and Figures


Training Day 3 we learned about "Cultural Competency/ Transracial Adoption. Believe it or not this class was very interesting to me. In my journey of getting ready for adoption I often imagined what kind or child I would get. I always felt like I would get a Hispanic baby but I am open to who ever God gives me. In this class we learned about how much of an impact culture, race, and identity play on an adopted child. For an African American child to be adopted by a Caucasian family it can be difficult. They encouraged us to pursue getting to know our child's racial norms and history. The last thing you want for your child is them to feel like they aren't apart of your family.

We watched this video that really made me sad. There were these African American children who really railed on their Caucasian adopted parents for not showing them their history or not raising them in the knowledge if what is common practice for their culture. These kids really had so much hate towards their adoptive parents. You can't ignore where your child comes from. In an ideal world all these children would be raised by their biological parents but when that doesn't happen we have to help transition them by bringing in their culture. This is part of the journey of adoption I believe. Its an intentional thing you as an adoptive parent has to think of. How am I going to make my child feel apart of their culture and apart of their adopted culture?

Racism is still really real in our country. If you're Caucasian and you have a different race child people can be very rude and inconsiderate. Being unashamed of your family structure helps your child know that you aren't ashamed of where they came from. The object of making a child feel apart of your family is to make sure you don't attach shame to any part of their identity. Either their race, where they came from, or even how they got to you. This is the tricky part of parenting an adopted child is to maintain that connection no matter what you have to do to do that. The sad fact is that people can quickly categorize your child and attach racial stereotypes. It's important not to ignore their race but bring a positive affirmation to them and build a racial identity and pride.

I believe whoever my child will be they will be great and the journey is going to be amazing! Bring on the beautiful children!

The next following training week we had CPR, First Aid and Water safety training and that took up the whole time. In the mean time we had more paperwork, safety checks, and lots of running around!

Here's another great blog on adoption!

http://writergrlpdx.blogspot.com/


Thoughts and Journal Entries
September 2010

It's getting closer I can feel the finish now at least that's going to be close. I've met a lot of single mothers who are taking this journey with me even though most of them are older. It seems I'm the only one my age taking on this journey which can be kind of lonely but I have friends who are supportive. The still small voice of God keeps encouraging me to continue to pursue peace and finish all that's required. It's been hard putting in the baby locks but I'm determined. I wonder what kinds of baby I will get? I don't mind having a drug baby or neglected baby.
This journey is one of the most radical I've ever taken I think. I'm not a millionaire by any means but God promised to provide every step of the way and I know He will.


No comments:

Post a Comment